Since its acquisition of Hovair Systems, Movetech UK has continued in-house design and manufacture of standard and bespoke air film movement solutions. Hovair air film skates are robust, low profile, high capacity load-moving modules used in sets of four or more to enable large or heavy objects to be moved with ease. Suitable for use in virtually any industry, they have no moving parts and are consequently very low maintenance.
Compressed air and a smooth operating surface are all that is required to enable air skates to virtually eliminate friction. Unlike wheels, air skates provide omni-directional capabilities, meaning that a load can be moved in any direction without the need for complex turning manoeuvres.
Available in a variety of sizes and capacities, a set of four air skates can carry anything from 2 to 60 tonnes working at a floor pressure of 1kg/cm2, and up to 240 tonnes working at higher floor pressures. Multiples of air skates can move thousands of tonnes.
The air skates are connected with a hose manifold and supplied with compressed air. With the air turned on, the flow to each air skate is regulated to accommodate the load and floor conditions, allowing the load to be lifted clear of the floor. A thin film of air can then escape from the periphery of a moulded diaphragm, creating a very small gap between it and the floor. This virtually eliminates friction, enabling the load to be moved with relatively little effort; a force of less than 5 kg can accelerate a 1000 kg load on air skates.
Features and benefits:
- Working load capacities of up to 100 tonnes and higher
- Choice of skate modules – steel or aluminium
- Move loads into restricted access areas where forklifts or cranes cannot reach
- Easy to set up with quick release couplings
- Powered by a regular workshop air supply of 5 to 7 bar
- Easy to use and cost effective
- Low floor pressures
- Modular capability giving ultimate versatility
- Accurate and repeatable positioning with omni-directional capability
- Low profile skate modules for ease of location underneath loads
Our Hovair range also includes:
If you would like to view example case studies for Movetech UK's industrial products, you can visit our case study page. Alternatively please contact us and we would be more than happy to email or post you selected copies. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: +44 (0)1204 537681
For more information, please don't hesitate to give us a call or email us, our sales and technical teams will be more than happy to help you with any queries. You can get in touch by:
- email: email@example.com
- tel: +44 (0)1204 537681 (Bolton Head Office) or:
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn for all the latest news, updates and special offers.
- Useful links:
- Hovair air film skates (PDF)
- Hovair air film technology (PDF)
- Photos, videos and downloads
- Bespoke design to customer requirements
- Omni-directional movement including rotary
- Remote or hard-mounted controls
- Ideal for:
- The safe handling of nuclear material
- The production of large aero-engines and wings
- Transporting steel or paper coils
- Share this page...